Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sweatspiration

Long day, so this is going to be a quickie! I started the day with a jog over to the gym in our apartment complex. What a delight to have the whole space to myself! Jogged a bit, then practiced some pull-ups and one arm snatches. After that a few air squats and leg tucks on the roman chair. Honestly was just trying to sweat some nerves out, so I didn't stay long.

Before I set out to the gym I snapped this picture: 


I was just being silly, but I liked how I was framed by the inspirational cards I have taped to my bathroom mirror. As I sat through the longest orientation ever, my phone kept lighting up as people liked and commented on Facebook. A friend I yelled at in college while she rowed my butt around rowed with on college commented "Love the work out inspiration Sofia! Totally been drawing on your passion for motivation!" 

What an awesome compliment!! Like, whoa! 

We are talking about a girl that competed in one of the most painful sports ever at a D1 school. For a long time I let my identity as a coxswain intimate me away from viewing myself as a "real athlete." I knew I was competitive and had a athletic outlook, but I let the community I was in tell me that I wasn't exactly a real athlete because I "just sat there and yelled." I don't want to get into a debate about the importance of a coxswain on a rowing team, what I am getting at is that I have had so much fun these past few months finding the athlete inside! 

I am still super competitive, but being an athlete is not just about competing against those around you. It is about setting goals then figuring out how to conquer them. Being an athlete is fun. I love all the cool things my body has done for me this year. I've run more miles, lifted more pounds and climbed more ropes than I ever thought possible. 

As graduate school starts, my identity is about to shift again. I look forward to embracing the identity of Speech Language Pathologist, but in order to be my best self I am going to continue to nurture the athlete inside. I never thought of myself as inspiring, but now that the seed has been planted I wanted to do a post of inspiring quotes, images and graphics. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! 






'






















































Hope you enjoyed those, I kept wanting to choose a favorite, but I can't! I started and ended the day with a workout, which is the best way for a day to go. Running for Brews has been a blast and I love how the group has incorporated me already. I feel like I've been running with these folks for months, but it has literally been one week. Three events down, two punches in my punch card and too many laughs and good conversations to count. I'm loving this adventure and can't wait to see what comes next!



Running for Brews ----> Cheaper than Therapy 

What motivates you? What are you training for? Why do you get your sweat on?


 xoxo Sweat&Sparkle 


2 comments:

  1. I think my favourite motivation right now is training for "the sport of fitness." I heard it on a Reebok add and then realized it's a crossfit reference. I really like what it encapsulates.
    One of the things I've struggled with since no longer being an athlete in a specific sport is figuring out what I'm training for, or if I have to be training for something to be considered an athlete.
    I've recently realized I'm training for life, for me, for family, for friends and because I love it!
    Plus the freedom of training for which ever sport I currently am passionate about is kinda amazing after being so focused on one thing for years!
    For now I don't think I can define myself as athlete or not, I'm working on figuring that one out, and enjoying the journey :)

    Loving the blog!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea of training for "the sport of fitness," it articulates what I am trying to get at so well! My favorite part of CrossFit is being able to test and see changes in my fitness. Even if I can't see changes in the mirror or on the scale I can always see progress when I can do something faster, with better technique, at a heavier weight or the best is when I can suddenly do something I couldn't before!!

    Thanks for the comment! It's fun to know people are reading this thing : )

    ReplyDelete