Thursday, November 22, 2012

ThankFULL


 I'm so glad I came home for Thanksgiving. It hasn't been the most exciting of holidays, but it has been exactly what I needed. 

The morning started out with my favorite: 



Fresh ground peanut butter and Dave's Killer Bread. Even if nothing else happened this would have made me a very thankful little lady! 

It was the perfect morning snack to join Charity Miles in accruing nearly 8,900 miles in one day to feed 15,000 people this holiday season!!! 


My mom and I layered up, then met her friend at Gasworks Park to begin our separate adventures around Lake Union. 


This is my very favorite run in Seattle. It neer gets boring. Every time is better than the last and Thursday was no exception. Initially I hadn't planned to run 6 miles Thursday, what with the half on Sunday. When we decided on Lake Union I knew I should take it slow. How awesome is it that me "taking it slow" meant I ran the lake faster than I ever have?! 58:30. Not the fastest in the world, but I'll take any improvement I can get! Especially when this is me holding back!!! 



 And I had to stop and take a picture with my favorite building in Seattle. The old Naval Reserve building turned Museum of History and Industry. 



The view from Gasworks Park never hurts. 



My mom is going to hate that I posted this next picture. But she never lets us take photos, so this one is a keeper! 


Thankful these ladies helped me earn my turkey! 

While we were at Gasworks I saw a group of runners and had to interrogate them had to find out what they were all about.


 These crazy people run FOUR Marathons in four days! Sounds like fun! 
{Except I'm probably more of a Quadzuki (four 1/2 marathons) girl myself.}

Much to my mother's chagrin, I just might have to look into doing this event next year... 

                                                                                                 

We had a lovely breakfast at Julia's. We took our time laughing and talking over numerous cups of coffee. I felt as though I may have finished off a whole pot myself. Whoops. 

Despite the caffeine coursing through my viens, I settled down at home for a delightful nap. By four o'clock I finally roused myself and faced a dilemma. Finish cooking dinner or go to a movie. 

We got in the car to go to the movie, but then realized neither of us wanted to come home and finish cooking at 7 or 8 at night. The short drive around the block woke us up enough to finish cooking. 

Turkey, brussel sprouts, baby potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, caramelized onions and rolls filled my plate and subsequently, my belly! 


Sufficiently stuffed, I fell asleep watching Muriel's Wedding. 

It was a pretty informal day, but maybe the best Thanksgiving yet. Grateful we didn't have to dress up, decorate or impress anyone. And I was able to wake up the next morning and finish the meal with a slice of pumpkin pie while watching the end of Muriel's Wedding. If you haven't seen it you must. Hilarious. 


Snapped this beauty on our way home from the failed drive to the movies. The mountains were out in full glory, unfortunately the camera on my phone didn't quite capture the effect. Methinks it is time for a real camera... 

I had a lot of time to think over what I am thankful for. I'm thankful and lucky to have a mom who supports me so much. I know she welcomes me home whenever I want, but that she also supports my independence and my desire to find my own way. I'm thankful for the wonderful friends I've made in Florida and for the new experiences I would have never had if I'd stayed on the West Coast. I'm grateful for the perspective I've gained by experiencing a different culture. I'm thankful for layers, footie pajamas and warm socks. I'm thankful for my health, for my body that lets me do so much. I'm thankful my family doesn't engage in black friday shenanigans. I'm thankful that I have a roof over my head, food to eat, a car to drive, books to read and the radio to keep me company. There are so many things to be thankful for this holiday season, I'm not positive I could list them all. Most of all I'm thankful for the woman I have become and for the opportunities I have to continue to cultivate my personality and identity. 

xoxo Sweat&Sparkle 

What are you thankful for this holiday season? Did you run on Thanksgiving? Where, how far, with whom? 

No comments:

Post a Comment