Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Iron and Fiber and Protein, Oh My!


This has been a crazy week. I've missed out on the blog-o-sphere so much. School and clinic consumes my every waking hour. Oh yeah, and training. That takes up a good bit of time too. Oodles of it. 

This weekend will be no exception. Double feature race weekend coming right up: 

Gasparilla 15k Saturday
Port St. Lucy Sprint Triathlon Sunday

It's going to be quite the weekend, but I am excited for the challenge. And the fun. Yes, mainly I'm excited for all the fun. And in order to ensure that the weekend is the blast it should be, I prepped some food a little early. Since I'm going to be in clinic/training all day tomorrow, and class/volunteering Friday, tonight was the only time I had to get ahead in the culinary division! 

Spinach Coconut Pancakes for the Win! 



These babies are full of protein, fiber and iron! And no gluten or added sugar to be found : ) 




Caught up on Biggest Loser as I was making these babies. 



Had to try some with my Smart Balance Crunchy Peanut Butter. So good. Adding the over-ripe banana is the trick to covering up the spinach flavor. I love spinach, but when you blend it all up, all the earthy green flavor quadruples and gets a bit gross. So don't forget the banana! 

Recipe

4 eggs
2 cup-ish spinach 
1 overripe banana 
4 tablespoons-ish coconut flour 


Blend eggs and spinach (I used Magic Bullet). Add banana and blend. Add coconut flour until you reach desired consistency. 

The initial mixture was super runny, so I overdid it a bit with the coconut flour. Whoops. This was my first time experimenting with these though, so all in all I am stoked with the results! I heated a pan over medium heat, and used coconut oil to grease the pan each time. My first batch were a little too browned for my taste - but I made them too thick and had the heat a it too high. Play around with it. I liked them best over lower heat and spread out thin. 
I made 10 mini pancakes! 

Total calories = 531 
One pancake ~ 53 calories! 

I can't get over how pretty the green is. And popped into the toaster oven, then smothered in peanut butter? Yeah, it's going to be a good weekend! 


I also whipped up some baked sweet potato fries and grilled chicken. Both are super simple and delicious. 

Zap two medium sweet potatoes in the microwave. Pre-heat oven to 425. Then slice sweet potato into fry pieces. Arrange on sheet and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until reach desired consistency. 

The chicken I just covered with spices on both sides (Perfect Pinch Tuscan Rosemary and Sun-dried Tomato) and then threw on the George Foreman. Simple. Tasty. Easy. Just a few of my favorite adjectives! 

Stressed. Tired. Confused. 

Those are not my very favorite adjectives, but they accurately describe my week. There are things I love about graduate school. Namely getting good feedback, when I understand a theory, and when my treatment plan for my clients actually works for them! But the rest of the time, I feel completely in the dark and useless. It sucks. 


Times like these it is hard to keep the finish line in sight. I will get through this. Everyone working in the field got through this. Not only will I get through it, I will be better because of it, and more importantly, my future clients will benefit because of it! 


But until then, I'll just have to keep dreaming big and keeping the excuses at bay. 


It's not all bad... I make time for fun! 


Driving to Vertical Ventures to get my climb on!


Ready to cheer on my CrossFit friends at the Throw Down on the Pier!


Flexing it before a chilly (think 60 degrees... I know.) ride at Flatwoods. 


Oh yeah. Aaaallllll bundled up. This is what bundled/layered looks like in Florida. 
I'll take it. 

I was even lucky enough to get some Valentines love from some special ladies back on the West Coast. 


Creepy lips and awesome glitter = from my mom. Wine? Oh yeah, that'd be Ruth! I love them both, just like I love both these ladies. 

All in all I'm glad I've been busy with school, otherwise I might be freaking about how soon my 70.3 is! In three weeks we will be in Puerto Rico. YIKES. Three weeks from Sunday I'll be trying to get out all the pre-pees I can before I make my body traverse more miles in one go than it ever has. Ugh. I'm terrified and excited all at the same time. 

So that's where I am at. I have to get my hinny to bed now so that I am fresh for therapy tomorrow. And for the bike I have planned immediately post-clinic. Priorities. 

xoxo Sweat&Sparkle 










No comments:

Post a Comment