Monday, March 4, 2013

Looking to the Bright Side




Especially when chocolate is one of those itty bitty details! 

Life has been rough these past few weeks, and so rather than blog, I've been trying to sieze some fun in those rare free moments. Lots of racing in February has left me with a bit of an overuse injury in my right foot. I spent last week off it, hoping for it to improve on its own. Now I need to do the adult thing and have a doctor look at it. 


Since ice and rest isn't working, while I wait for the doctor I made another batch of BLACK BEAN BROWNIES!! 


If you follow me on instagram you'll know I made these early last week, but didn't share the deets. 

These are delicious. And simple. Gluten free, limited sugar. The main ingredient is beans and you'd never know it to taste them! 


Black Bean Brownies 


  • 1 1/2 cups black beans (drained and RINSED) 
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder - dutch or regular 
  • 1/2 cup quick oats 
  • 1/4 tsp salr
  • 1/2 cup agave 
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil 
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (some extra for on top too!) 

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients except chocolate chips together in food processor, blender or magic bullet. (Probably a food processor is best, but this girl had to use what she had on hand!) Blend really well. Seriously. Keep blending. Blend again. Pour into greased pan, mix in chocolate chips, top with additional chocolate chips, bake 15-18 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes. 

Try not to eat the whole pan. 

Seriously. 

Did you see how many black beans you just put into that pan?! So do yourself a favor and eat these in moderation. 

Speaking of eating in moderation I've really been trying to get after it. Eating carbs in moderation and trying to pump up the protein. As such egg based pancakes have been a major staple. 




The green monster above was the best! Tasted like banana, but chock full of spinach. 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons coconut flour, pinch of baking powder, 1 cup spinach, half banana, splash of almond milk. The trick is to blend the spinach with the eggs first in the magic bullet. Then add the other ingredients and blend well. Let stand a minute or two before cooking in pan over medium heat. Slather with peanut butter, jam, coconut oil or whatever else you like at brekkers. Or cut in half and use in the place of bread! Some chicken and spinach make a good filler : ) 

I can't run - pain is just unbearable, but still managed to get my paws on this new RFB shirt!


Love it! And since I moved here my short sleeve and tank top collection has exploded, nice to add a long sleeve to the mix! Especially since this cold front has dropped early morning temps to the 30's and the days are barely getting to 50! Brrrrr. 

Yes. I've become a bit Floridian - though I still won't complain about temps in the 60's and 70's! 


Had to get all layered up for my 60 mile ride yesterday. So bring on the pink I said! It was 46 degrees for the three and a half hours I was at Flatwoods. With winds between 14-17mph and gusting at 20+. It was a long, hard, COLD ride. Couldn't feel my tosies at the end : ( 

I had the opportunity to hit the hills with some girls earlier in the morning, but declined due to a lack of sleep. I have been having some trouble with my acid reflux lately. When it acts up I just can't stop throwing up. And as such the night before I hadn't caught much sleep due to the GERD monster. When I started my solo endeavor, I threw up three times on the first lap. Pull your bike off the path and heave style. I couldn't tell if this was just more acid reflux, or if I was really sick. I guessed it was just GERD, and seeing as how I was already out, figured I might as well keep going. 

"What will you do if this happens on race day?"

Words that I hated to hear in college (sub race day for NCAA's, because yes, it was always assumed we would go and not only go but win. Guess how much fun it was when I never won NCAA's?? But that's another story...) but they rang true for once. I have busted my butt to get this training in. I'm irritated about my foot, and if that holds me back I might be in tears. But there is no way I am going to let a little vomit hold me up. Just. Keep. Going. A little water and a bite of Cliff Bar and everything settled down. 

54 miles later I was done! I had the biggest grin on my face during that last lap, despite the increased wind gusts and the part where I was supposed to be going race pace for the last 10 miles (which I some how managed - wahooo!!!). People thought I was crazy, I didn't see any regulars, only families and couples enjoying some quality time together. My never ending laps, snot rockets, spitting and heaving probably ruined their cozy Sunday afternoon strolls. Oh well. 

So I have one more week until we fly to Puerto Rico. One more week of training here, one short week training there and then I throw my body into the longest, hardest thing it's ever done. I can't wait!!!! The thought that my foot might prevent me from getting to race brings me to tears. I can't believe I've become that person that is upset if I'm not allowed to go SEVENTY POINT THREE miles. That is so friggin far. Most people would only travel that distance under extreme duress and torture. But I know it will be fun, and the sense of accomplishment at the finish line is what I yearn for. 

After week two of our training, my partner and I went to a yoga for runners. They had us visualize our next big race. All I could imagine was crossing the finish line in Puerto Rico, and I teared up. Turns out Amanda had the same thought and reaction. I'll go either way and I'll be happy to support them, but its going to be so hard to be positive if I can't participate. 

'

At this point all I can do is stay positive, keep looking forward and wait until I get some definitive news. Until then, I'm about to grub on some black bean brownies, because I just heard the ten minute cooling buzzer go off! 

xoxo Sweat&Sparkle 

What is your go to treat? 
How do you stay positive in the face of an injury?
What should I do/see in Puerto Rico?! 




No comments:

Post a Comment